Here’s a great quick and easy recipe made mostly from cans! If you omit the sour cream, red pepper and chives you can always have this recipe on hand for a rainy night. I realize it doesn’t contain peanut butter (yet) but it sure is delicious (the family agrees). Like all my Mexican-inspired dishes, the same basic ingredients are simply rehashed into a different form.
There will likely be leftover filling. You can either stack the pie higher or make a second pie. What I did was use the extra filling for enchiladas.
4 whole wheat or corn (smaller) tortillas
1 can spicy refried beans
1 can pinto beans
1/2 cup salsa
1 lb cooked and shredded chicken
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp chopped green onions or chives
1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional)
dash salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot over medium heat mix together refried beans, pinto beans, corn, red pepper and the chicken. Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne (if using) and a few tablespoons of salsa (the rest will be for serving).
2. Find a deep 9″ pie dish or 9×13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Place one tortilla into the dish.
3. While the mixture is being heated, it will begin to thin out. You want the heated mixture to remain fairly thick, so only add more salsa as needed. If the mixture is too thin, it will creep out the sides (mine did a bit).
4. Once the mixture is heated through, plop it onto the first tortilla about 1/2″-3/4″ thick and about a 1/2″ from the edges. Use about 2 Tbsp sour cream to spread a thin layer on top of the mixture. Next, sprinkle about 1/2 cup cheese on top. Place another tortilla on the top and repeat, making three full layers.
5. Top with the 4th tortilla. Cover the whole pie with the rest of the salsa (extra is fine). Sprinkle with chives and place olives on top. Cover with the remaining cheese.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Slice like a pie and indulge. Freezes well.
I used a spicy green salsa that happened to be very thin, which caused the pie to leak into the dish a little bit. Hot sauce and extra sour cream go great on top.