The Peanut Butter Exhibition wasn’t a total bust – we actually got 2 full recipe submissions! That means everyone is a winner! It was tough to choose an overall winner though, since both recipes made us salivate. The first, Peanut Butter Gorilla Cake, contains pretty much everything you could want (and no gorillas were harmed in the making of it!). While the second recipe, Peanut Butter Strawberry Kissed Cupcakes take a unique twist by being completely gluten-free! Read on to see who we chose as the winner (even though everyone was a winner this round!).
Peanut Butter Gorilla Cake submitted by Anna was a very close 2nd. See below for her recipe. This cake is so chock full of goodness that you don’t even need to taste it to smile:
For the cake:
Peanut Butter Frosting:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, banana, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Stir in PB chips by hand. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely before frosting and decorating.
4. For the frosting: melt the peanut butter in a bowl. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to a “spreading” consistency. Add a small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
5. Frost between layers, the sides and top. Sprinkle liberally with chopped peanut butter cups.