*Update: We actually received 2 recipes (one got lost in transit) and had to judge the winners. See the Peanut Butter Exhibition #11 Roundup for both recipes and the winners!
Well, Peanut Butter Exhibition #11 was a flop. Perhaps the pun-tastic theme “Please Dessert Me” was misinterpreted. Either way, we received only 1 recipe. But hey, judging was easy! Anna submitted her recipe for Peanut Butter Gorilla Cake, so congratulations Anna – you won 8 jars of Peanut Butter Boy! As for her recipe, it sounds delicious. It’s got everything you could want (and more) in a cake. Anna didn’t have a close-up shot of the cake, so instead I posted this picture of what I imagined the cake would look like. Yum! But check out the photo below for the most important part of any cake – people enjoying it!
For the cake:
Peanut Butter Frosting:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, banana, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Stir in PB chips by hand. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely before frosting and decorating.
4. For the frosting: melt the peanut butter in a bowl. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to a “spreading” consistency. Add a small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
5. Frost between layers, the sides and top. Sprinkle liberally with chopped peanut butter cups.
Who needs a close-up of the cake when you can see the anticipating grins of the people about to enjoy it? I’m sure it was fantastic Anna!